Serving Midwest Aviation Since 1960

Airport Of The Month – Duluth International

Runway Project Features Three-Phase Construction Plan

In 1929 the city of Duluth purchased 640 acres to build an airport. It opened in 1930 with two, 2,650-foot-long turf runways. Scheduled airline service to Duluth started in 1940. After the beginning of World War II, three paved runways were constructed in the classic "triangle" of that era. Each was 4,000 feet long.

Runways 9/27 and 3/21 were extended to 5,700 feet in 1945. Runway 9/27 was later extended twice, reaching the current length of 10,151 feet in 1956. Runway 13/31 was closed in 1973 due to an airline terminal expansion.

Duluth International Airport (DLH) has long been shared by civi...

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 
Rendered 05/29/2024 18:01