Important lightning facts
Most aviators recognize the tremendous power of lightning, but few truly understand this unique/ natural phenomenon. Here are a few eye opening facts about lightning:
• A typical thunderstorm lasts approximately 30-45 minutes with lightning on average of 3-4 strokes per minute.
• While most tend to occur in the afternoon and evening during the spring and summer, thunderstorms can occur at any time of the day, and along frontal boundaries.
• Lightning can strike as far as 15 miles away from a thunderstorm.
• Lightning can occur even when it is not raining.
• Deaths caused by light...